Sunday, January 27, 2013

Eating In...


People often ask me what I do to maintain my current weight. I shared some of my daily tips in my first weight loss post, but have saved one of the best for now. I know the biggest key to my weight loss and maintenance is eating in.

By preparing my own food I control portions, ingredients, freshness, fats, oils, and spices. When we eat out we have no clue what has gone into our food, but by cooking at home we know exactly what was used, the amount, and how many calories the dish contains. 

Steven and I are huge advocates of eating at home. We go out once a month, sometimes even less, and our weight remains fairly consistent. There are more benefits than just being able to fit into my jeans. It allows us to spend more time at home relaxing after a tough day (we both have hectic jobs). We enjoy going out, because it becomes more of a treat than a norm. Lastly, we save so much money, that we can put it towards things we really love, like our home and traveling. 

I'm the cook in our house, and I wouldn't want it any other way. There is something really nice about coming home from work, putting on my comfy clothes, and cooking a meal for us. It is a stress reliever after a long day and makes me feel good. I've also become a better cook and more adventurous leading me to create some of my own low calorie dinners. 

Here is a meal I came up with based on what I had in my pantry and fridge. It has become one of our favorites. 
What you need:  good olive oil
                         1 box of whole wheat penne pasta
                         3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
                         2 pints of cherry tomatoes halved
                         1 can of cannellini 
beans
                         salt and pepper
                         crushed red pepper
                         fresh grated parmesan cheese



Heat 2-3 tablespoons of EVOO in the bottom of a heavy pot, and add garlic. When the garlic is golden add a pinch of crushed red pepper.


Add the tomatoes and cook until they break down, stirring often. While the tomatoes are cooking boil water and cook pasta. Pull the pasta before it is done (it will finish cooking in the pot). 


When tomatoes have cooked down (about 10-15 minutes) add beans.



Add the pasta and allow to finish cooking with the tomatoes and beans, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.

And that's it! Serve with some fresh Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Remember -- make your home your new restaurant and eat in.

No comments:

Post a Comment