Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Mixing Patterns


“Oh, I love that huge leather couch.” How often do people walk in a room and say that? Never, they say, “I love that ______(insert any accessory pillow, curtain, rug).” Patterns and textures are what make a space interesting and exciting. Those touches say the most about you and your personality. So take a deep breath and don’t be afraid to mix it up.

You heard me right, you should mix patterns. Many of us are scared to mix prints. It took me quite a few attempts and many throw pillow purchases to understand and make it work. The most popular patterns from 2012 are not going anywhere. Chevrons, quatrefoil, Greek key, and modern floral prints will continue to dominate the market. It is time to embrace, mix, and use them. So how can you avoid this from looking like a hot mess? Have no fear, I've created 4 simple steps to be your guide.

1. Always stick with an odd number. Three is my go to number.

       2. First, pick your main pattern. This print should be your  
            largest or boldest. Typically it will be your favorite and  
            the one you want to be the focal point.           
    
       3. Next, pick a pattern that is smaller (about half the scale) 
           of your main pattern. Guess what? This doesn't have to 
           be the same color. You may want to draw out one of the 
           colors (from the first print), but it doesn't have to match  
           entirely, it just needs to go.

      4. Lastly, the third pattern should match one of the two, but 
          be the smallest scaled print. If you have a hard time 
          finding a pattern that matches remember texture (burlap, 
          tweed, ruffles, pleats, etc.) work as another “pattern.”  
          You should stick with the same color “rules” as you did  
          above.
    
       Here is a combination I put together. I can’t wait to use it this spring/summer.
The floral/bird fabric is my focal print. Next, I used the chevron as my second  pattern. I obviously pulled the green from the flowers in the first print. Lastly, I used a burlap as my third piece. I wanted a very small twig print, but couldn't find one that I liked. Remember if you can't find a small pattern you like, go with texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment